Joel Salatin is the owner of Polyface Farms in Swoope, Virginia and has been featured in the New York Times Bestselling book, Omnivore's Dilemma and the award-winning documentary Food Inc. He calls himself a Christian libertarian environmentalist capitalist lunatic farmer. Others who like him call him the most famous farmer in the world, the high priest of the pasture, and the most eclectic thinker from Virginia since Thomas Jefferson. Those who don’t like him call him a bio-terrorist, Typhoid Mary, charlatan, and starvation advocate.
So if you've been wondering whether or not grass-fed beef is truly sustainable (or you just want to have a laugh), then DON'T miss this interview!
Here are just a few of the topics we covered:
- Why the statistics used in Cowspiracy do NOT apply to grass fed beef
- Where the COWSPIRACY statistics come from
- The environmental impacts of grass-fed vs. conventionally raised beef
- Why grass-feeding actually improves the environment
- Where 90% of the methane on the planet is produced
- Why methane isn't actually an issue when cows are grass fed
- Why the AMOUNT of cattle being raised today isn't a strain on the environment like many people think
- Why green growing vegetation is critical for environmental health
- The difference between an annual and a perennial (and why it's important!)
- Why eating more vegetables is NOT the answer and may actually be causing more environmental damage
- How herbivores help BUILD soil
- Why soil building MUST be a national priority
- What a truly sustainable and properly managed operation looks like
- Why we need to get away from segregation and embrace INTEGRATION
- Whether or not Joel thinks eating animals is inhumane (or blocking our evolution to a more peaceful planet!)
- Why Joel believes not eating animals is ignorant.
- Why grass-feeding is the SOLUTION rather than the problem
- Why a vegan diet is not a zero death diet
- And much more!